The Runaway Cook

A diary of culinary adventures

Dinner and a Dance

Yellows and golds fluttered in the foreground as smooth shimmering fabrics wrinkled to the whims of their masters. Fluid fingertips painted the edges to an antique photo come to life. As this scene moved across the red backdrop and one Malaysian dinner theater I couldn't help but love where I was and sink into the gentle hums and twangs that made these butterflies dance.


Tonight we through in towel and took a well deserved break from the clang of the kitchen. Instead of cooking for ourselves or wandering through the noisy streets of Kuala Lumper, we gussied up our exhausted bodies, painted our faces, and sprayed a homemade cocktail of perfume and bug spray. Night out on the town. . .CHECK- we are out of the kitchen. Culturally rich main attraction. . . CHECK. . . no double CHECK- Malaysian dancing.

You know, I can't remember if the chairs here were plush, if the cloth napkin was folded just right, I don't even remember everything I ate (which is a real shocker in my food-obsessed case), but what I do remember was the colors, sounds and movements that made my eyes as satisfied as my stomach.

The first dance performed was a welcoming dance, during which women carried large bouquets of gold roses. Golden roses are a traditional symbol of welcoming that is still observed today at large gatherings such as wedding, where you might seem a vase of them poised on a table. Other objects used in this evening's dances included large fabric fans and red lanterns, bells, and even bamboo.

What began as delicate flits of softness, gleams of glitter, and slow boys and spins, soon morphed into fast turns, cool moves, hooting and jumping. I think it's safe to say that Malaysia's varied cultures contributed more than just amazing foods.

This eclectic collection of dances caught everyone's fancy on one song or another. And by the end of the evening we were either moving a foot, finger or head to the melody, or all out dancing on the stage.
You read that right. These clever performers were able to con several of our own into doing the "tari bambu", or as you might know it, the jumping bamboo dance. Most of the class did well at jumping over the moving poles, To see a bunch of American college students try their hand. . . or should I say feet, at dancing Southeastern Asian dances and see the professionals show them up click this link Malaysian Dancing.

I think watching these guys dance was the highlight of my night. . . or well maybe it when the women ran and twirled their fans, or when they danced with the bells on their ankles. . . . or maybe it was when those Malaysian danced to that thumpin' music (giggles). . . whew, cummon! Focus Elizabeth!

Well I can't really pick, maybe you can watch for yourself and tell me which dance is your favorite.



0 comments:

Post a Comment