The Runaway Cook

A diary of culinary adventures

First Impressions

Well I made it. After, over 14 hours of flying and a layover in Dubai, I have landed in singapore. It seems such a shock to have just been in Rome and now here is this tropical place. It’s raining here and as I look around me the waxy leaves of the plants the gloss and beads of liquid make this place seem nearly unreal. Even sitting in the taxi seemed somehow exotic.
I arrive at the hotel and took the “lift” up to my room on the ninth floor. I feel so nervous to meet the other 23 students here. I swipe my key card three times and finally get room 911 open, hopefully that number is just a coincidence and not a sign that I’m going to need an ambulance or something. As soon as I get in the room a place my now broken suitcase in a slightly out of the way place. Unfortunately, my brand new suitcase was crushed during the trip at some point and now there’s a two foot long slash on the side and parts of the hard shell have cracked off completely. But this turn of events will not bring me down, I’m in a jungle of sorts for goodness sake, and this is going to be great . . right?
Just two doors to the left is Chef Kirsten Kleeber’s room. I give her a call to let her know that although I am late I have made it here. After a brief conversation she lets me know that the whole group is about to meet in the lobby and head to a special reception, at which I must be in
perfectly pressed full uniform . . .AHHHHHHHH! I ended up just throwing on my uniform and rushing down nine floors to meet up with everyone.
We left the hotel crossed the street and walked up many, many brick steps to reach the At-Sunrice school. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by

Chef Christop, who proceeded is poking fun at our melting. Yes, after just fifteen minutes outside my chef coat was seriously soaking with sweat and my face dripping with salty water.
Chef Christop led us down more stairs and into a room with a table covered in delicious asian tapas. To

refresh our withering bodies were four pitchers of iced lemongrass tea. THis refreshment was so good that by the time I made it to the table it was gone. . .perfect...

Despite this semi-unfortunate series of events, I did get some amazing asian tapas. Eating was necessary at this point. I have not bee so grateful for such small bites of food in a long time. I hope tomorrow will be better. We have class starting at 7:45am sothis could be a miniature disaster. Another 6 hour time difference is not so good after such a crazy week in Italy... everyone cross your fingers.



0 comments:

Post a Comment