The Runaway Cook

A diary of culinary adventures

Death of a Crab





Well Everyone, today was a very interesting day. We learned to make Chili Crab, a specialty to the region, which consists of a crab and a sweet and spicy sauce that is so good you may find yourself sucking on the crustacean's shell just to savor the residue of your meal. Yes, even I, someone who had never liked crab in anything, found this to be delectable.

However, getting to the delicious part took a bit of work. You see, we started out with crabs that were very, VERY ALIVE. I have to confess that, although I have attended a culinary
school on the coast, I've never touched or cooked crab. Heh heh. This sad fact is partially because I had always been interested in other items being prepared in the kitchen and,
most of the live seafood brought in was lobster- which can easily be thrown into a pot whole.

What you are about to see is not for the faint of heart. Know you have bee forewarned of the following video and the winces and/or laughs that may accompany your viewing it.

In the end I was happy enough to kiss my crab. Unfortunately, he didn't turn into a prince or anything, so I guess I'll have to hope for the next one to work out a little better :) FYI to anyone attempting to cook a crab: get some help, it's a creepy job. . . but worth the result.

0 comments:

Post a Comment