The Runaway Cook

A diary of culinary adventures

AHHH :) THE JOY OF EATING INDIAN FOODS



Finally! Indian food!!! I love this world of bark that tastes like heaven, powders that have more flavor is a spec than whole casseroles,sweet dried fruits, and my favorite creamy delicacy: (well second to whole milk) coconut milk.


Today, our chef led us in making biryani and chicken tikka. Two of my favorite dishes.

I love biriani. It is this blissful combination of rich stock, tender chunks of meat, luscious long grain rice, sweet raisins, spicy chillies, buttery nuts, and spices including: cardamom, peppery cinnamon, star anise. . . .oh my Lord. . . I can’t even. . . it’s just too good to talk about anymore. Wheew. . breathe Elizabeth, breathe.

I had only ever had this dish from my favorite Indian restaurant in Providence, so learning about it and how to make it correctly was one of my goals for this trip. The result, amazingly out

standing food that was nearly the same as my at home

favorite. I have no doubt that this will be a staple in my diet from now on. I would say to you all, If you are ever around me and smell a sweet, spice laden and savory aroma, its probably my breath because i just can’t get enough of this stuff.

The chicken tikka was dang good as well. I could not believe how simple it was to make. Basically, it is a process of blending spices with yogurt and letting some chicken hang out in the goo. THen you skewer it all up on these giant metal poles and place it in a Tandoor aka fiery oven from hell. Once in the oven let the chicken hang out until cooked. remove from the pole and eat. Oh we also made naan, an Indian flatbread also baked in this oven, however this is cooked by sticking the dough to the blazing hot sides of the over. It literally only takes a few minutes to cook... amazing!!!


SIGH I am satisfied.... for the moment {muuuu-ahhhhhhh-hahahahahaha}


0 comments:

Post a Comment