The Runaway Cook

A diary of culinary adventures

WHAT! ^%#@()!!!

It’s late. My neck has a kink in it, my ankle is swollen and sore, and shrapnel of notebooks, papers, and writing utensils surround me, while my poor computer sits on my lap getting hotter and hotter. Today has been full of nonstop planning. Partly because it’s 21 days to lift off, and partly because THAILAND IS CANCELLED! @#%>!$@#*^@!!!


Yes you read that correctly, I am sorry to report that, due to “political unrest,” aka chaos and danger, the US government has prohibited us from going. Ok, maybe I’m being a bit dramatic, but this is a dramatic turn of events! No Ancient ruins, no monks in orange, no elephants, no cheap but awesome markets . . . I have reason to freak!


On the bright side, we are still going to Singapore, thank goodness. However, now we are spending the last week in Malaysia. This is actually ok with me because I know three malaysians from school, and two of which immediately told me that Malaysia is no Thailand, but it would still be good.


So now, I guess, is where that good ole flexibility comes in. I just have to pretend I’m cooking and an ingredient is missing. Although I don’t have pine nuts for my basil pesto, I have cashews. Well, I like cashews . . . and in pesto they are actually delicious. Despite the fact that, I have to change the flight. Oh! And on the day I need to leave, and the surround days, Rome is completely booked and my travel agent doesn’t know if he can change the ticket to Milan, I am going to make it.


Things happen for a reason. Just like my swollen ankle, it keeps hurting me so that I’ll stop going a million miles an hour, and relax. This special change to a seemingly perfect schedule, may bring something better than elephants. We’ll just have to wing it and see what that is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment