The Runaway Cook

A diary of culinary adventures

It Beets Stayin' In








Well everyone, this was my second-to-last, full weekend in the States, and between procrastinating studying for my four finals, cleaning, and preparing for my trip, I decided to trade in the books for my mile-high glossy, strappy black heels. Whoo! It was refreshingly sweet to taste some delicious food I didn’t have to make and dance away all the stress.


After a six-mile walk and a day full of trip preparations, I was exhausted! I jumped into the shower only to be shocked cold. Yes, hot water was out, again. This is an off and on occurrence that I see

m to be very good at hitting. After a quick cleanse, I gooped up the curls, primped the face, slathered on coconut scented lotion, spritzed my favorite perfume- Noir by Victo

ria’s Secret, slipped on a black top with flowing sleeves and lave panels, cuffed white shorts, and those amazing black heels.


Careful not to trip, I flew down the stairs, out the door and into a silver car

with another woman just as gussied up as myself. We found our way to one of her favorite spots, Cafe Nuovo. Just beyond the canal and behind glistening glass doors is a classy little place that serves one heck of a pear martini!


After the initial state of “WOW” had passed I followed my woman as she made a B-line for the bar. A pair of plush leather stools with tall comfortable backs were waiting for us. She ordered a red wine and I asked if they had anything with pear in it. The sweet woman said they could make a pear martini, but that guy, the other bartender, was especially good at making them. Before I knew a cone of golden fog was placed on the glossy wooden bar, teasing me with it’s alluring frothy surface. A tiny sip exploded into the taste of fresh pear and pear candy all at once. Each flavor traded lead in my mouth, making me smile and gasp.


It was about 8:30 at this point and I wasn’t too hungry so I ordered the tuna capraccio appetizer. Tender blocks of rosy tuna socialized with cubes of golden beet, dressed with just enough vinegar and drizzled with basil oil. Crispy lemony brioche, red raspberries, croutons and two small scoops of beet sorbet finished the plate. I am a ice cream, sorbet, and sherbet fanatic, so I was hoping for quite a bit from this below-zero treat. I got what I wanted. It was delicious! Such a light pink color and sweet yet earthy flavor, I suspect that they added a little apple to the mix. The croutons weren’t quite my taste- I’d rather have had them a little spicy. Perhaps ginger and chili, since the plate already had sour, sweet, meaty, oily, and herbaceous flavors. Despite my little criticism it was still fantastic! I love raw fish especially tuna! The flesh is so mild and smooth. It’s meaty and doesn’t even resemble the flavor cooked tuna or fish for that matter. I would highly suggest trying tuna sashimi if you like meat at all. It is tender, blushing deliciousness.



After a quick bite of dessert, (rich white and milk chocolate mousse with espresso ice cream and fruit sauces- it wa

s tasty, but nothing spectacular. The ice cream was too icy and the molded chocolate pot it came in was a little rough around the edges) we headed out to find some good music and dance up a storm.


Sigh. . . escaping all this mess of books, notes, EuRail tickets, uniforms, and research made it possible for me to breathe again. I love exploring, new restaurants, new places to dance, new people, new experience, but sometimes the planning for this giant summer of exploring seems to be too much. I know I can make it. I can do this. I will do this! It’s just this prep-work that gets to me ahhh. Thank goodness for amazing friends, good food, and dancing!


0 comments:

Post a Comment