The Runaway Cook

A diary of culinary adventures

Let's have another go at this: Trattoria Storica






Tonight is Peter's last night in Venice and Italy for that matter. He is headed to Austria. We have yet to find a place that has given us a meal worth slobbering over the story that we tell our loved ones and we are bound and determined to find just that. After asking many locals and getting a bit lost, we have found the Trattoria Storica after talking with a man behind the front desk of a very small and beautiful hotel. He Claimed that this was one of the best places for pasta and fish.

He was right. I ordered a pasta dish with garlic, tomatoes, herbs and scampi that was luscious! The perfectly al dente pasta was coated in a rich film of peppery olive oil. Garlic hung in the air above my plate and clung to each bite I twirled around my fork. The scampi was tender and naturally sweet and rich in minerality which was complimented by the sweet and acidic cherry tomatoes. It was simple but enough to make the sound of happiness vibrate my vocal cords: MMMMMMM!

I couldn't have been more pleased with my dish. However, I could have done away with the mosquitoes that kept catching me off guard. After a few slaps our waiter brought over a bottle of bug spray and left it at the table with kind not of his head. We spared everything but the food and it seemed to help some.

We each ordered a filet of fish as well as our pasta dished. We were both excited when out waiter push a gueridon to our table and deboned the grilled creatures in front of us. Mine was gilled a little longer than my liking but was still good.

I would suggest this restaurant to you all. Venice is a beautiful Italian city, but finding a place with delicious pasta took three attempts. If only finding delicious and authentic cuisine was as easy as it is to admire the architecture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment