The Runaway Cook

A diary of culinary adventures

Walking on Water!

To the left are the steps of the station and that bridge is the one we crossed
to get to the hostel
Walk to far from the steps of the strain station and you fall right in. Shimmering and sloshing in its winding path, the Grand Canal more than grand. It's magnificent and surreal. Walking over these bridges every few feet and skipping along the seams of water and stones, I feel like I'm merely floating on the pearly green water.

My hostel happens to be just across from the train station, which means crossing a very tall bridge over the canal. I'm perfectly fine with a small hike up and down, but at this point my feet are half-dead, torn, and worn out more than my shoes. That, and the fact that this very large suitcase of gifts and belongings is as heavy as a middle schooler are going to mean trouble for me.


Luckily I am meeting my new friend from Norway who goes by "Peter" (an easier version of the norwegian counterpart)  has been patiently waiting for my train to arrive. I think I was more happy to see him standing there with is silly hat and dark shades than I was to eat my dinner that evening. I admit that one of my dreams is to have someone actually waiting for me at an airport or train station. Believe it or not, with all this traveling and even flying back and forth to school I rarely see someone waiting at the edge of the steps. So this occaision was more than a relief. To top that, this strapping man took my load of stuff and carried it over the Grand Canal and up the stairs to our hostel. What a peach!

At this point, I have officially entered heaven as he continues to tell me his "plan" for us. He explains he has scouted out Venice and the attractions a bit and states, "Tonight, we see the city and tomorrow we go to the beach."

I am floored at how prepared my buddy is. All signs of exhaustion have left me as well as my plan of a long shower and early bedtime. I mean who wouldn't want to take a late afternoon walk on the water?


Photos from other sources: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1308/917931481_56bc104728.jpg
thewalkerhomeplace.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment