The Runaway Cook

A diary of culinary adventures

Australians and Pasta a Pasta Dinner in . . Amalfi?

I am back in Amalfi! I know what you’re thinking, “Why is Elizabeth backtracking?” Well,   I have made friends with a couple of Australians that also wanted to go to Positano and Amalfi is the perfect place for a lunch break on the two-and-a-half-hour journey. 
We eating dinner at a place that Emilio (cheesy Italian man who was mentioned in earlier articles) told me is the best pasta in town, El Teatro. There are about three ways to get to this hidden little restaurant. One can choose the first white painted stone stairway, the second, or the third. After walking up a story of steep ledge-like steps just follow the all-white, painted, stone hallway between the buildings that leads to a widening in the hallway with tables, a lamp, and a sign. 
I’ve never found a restaurant that fit the word “hidden” so well. This place is practically asking to not be found by most people. I guess that’s how they weed out the foodie tourists from the not so food-motivates others. 
The three of os sit down under the solid arch that shades us from the hot sun. This lengthy hall makes for a gentle wind tunnel so it’s pretty comfortable outside the restaurant. We order the red wine of the house, which cost just more than water per liter. It’s light and acidic but good enough for quenching our thirst and matching our food-somewhat. 
First course is a pizza topped with black olives, tomato, basil, cheese, and from-scratch tomato sauce. The steaming round produces floating wafts of garlicy breeze and a tart scent from the olives and tomato. It tastes delicious, right down to the not-so-thin crust. The edges are crunchy but the center is soft. Strangely, it seems to make us more hungry and refreshed with every bite.
Second course is different for us all. To my left is a plate of stuffed vegetables and across from me is spinach stuffed raviolis covered in garnet-colored tomato sauce. But, right in front of me is a plate full of porchini mushrooms stuffed raviolis covered in a creamy sauce and just begging for me to take a bite. I love mushrooms and these, I have to admit are good, but have been sauteed with just a little too much white wine for my taste, In fact they’re almost a a little bit sour. However, the richness of the ricotta in the filling and creamy sauce almost makes the tart mushrooms seem normal. The pasta is tender and lovely- just what I had hoped for. All in all, I’d have to say I was happy with the meal.








Ahhhh look at the time! With these couple glasses of wine, the three of us have nearly lost track of the time. We must catch the bus to Positano so we can have some time there before we run to catch the last bus back to Salerno . . . . Grab your bags ladies it’s time to run!

0 comments:

Post a Comment